NIH 1998 Almanac/The Organization/CC/
Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center: Important Events in CC History
November 1948--Construction of the Clinical Center was started.
June 22, 1951--The cornerstone ceremony was officiated by Oscar R. Ewing, Federal
security administrator. President Harry S. Truman was the honored guest.
July 2, 1953--The CC was dedicated by DHEW Secretary Oveta Culp Hobby.
July 6, 1953--The first patient was admitted to the Clinical Center.
September 5, 1963--A new surgical wing for cardiac and neurosurgery was dedicated
by Dr. Luther L. Terry, Surgeon General.
July 2, 1969--A dedication ceremony was held to name the CC's Jack Masur
April 1977--Construction of the ambulatory care research facility was started.
November 1977--The Critical Care Medicine Department was established.
October 22, 1981--The outpatient clinic facility was dedicated. The research
hospital was renamed the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center.
September 20, 1982--The NIA Laboratory of Neurosciences was dedicated.
March 22, 1984--The first magnetic resonance imaging unit became operational for
October 1984--NCI's Radiation Oncology Building was dedicated.
April 13, 1985--Two cyclotrons were delivered to the underground facility operated
by the Nuclear Medicine Department.
November 20, 1987--The Lipsett Amphitheater in the clinic was dedicated.
September 14, 1990--A 4-year-old patient with adenosine deaminate deficiency was
the first to receive gene therapy treatment.
April 8, 1991--The Department of Transfusion Medicine opened its state of the art
June 1992--The A-wing addition was completed, adding NCI and NIAID labs focusing on
July 1993--The hematology/bone marrow unit opened to improve transplant procedures
and develop gene therapy techniques.
May 1994--First multi-institute unit designed and staffed for children opened.
February 1996--Details on clinical research studies conducted at the Clinical
Center are made available on the World Wide Web
(http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov), increasing opportunities for physicians to
participate in NIH clinical investigations.
November 1996--A Board of Governors was appointed by the Secretary of HHS, marking
a new governing system for the CC.
July 1997--To meet increasing investigative needs for cell products used in
immunotherapy, gene therapy, and stem cell transplantation, a cell processing facility was
November 4, 1997--Vice President Al Gore and Senator Mark O. Hatfield attended
groundbreaking ceremonies for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center. The new
center, which will include a modern research facility with a 250-bed hospital, outpatient
care capability and research laboratories, is scheduled to be completed in 2001.