Previous

NIH 1998 Almanac/Real Property and Facilities/      

Buildings
(Listed separately according to history, cost of original construction, total cost, gross area and space allocations. See also NIH Location Maps.)


Buildings 39-61

Building T-39
History: Two trailers were purchased as part of the Building 10 renovations. When renovations were completed, they were relocated to their present site to be used as a Fitness Center for NIH employees and families of the Clinical Center patients.

Building 41
History: Building 41 was constructed to provide the National Cancer Institute with a facility designed for control and containment of biohazards associated with virus studies related to cancer research.

Building T-41

History: Building T-41 was constructed to provide containment labs for the Division of Safety.

Building 45
History: The William H. Natcher Building is the gateway to the NIH campus. This first of two intended phases includes office space for 600 extramural staff, a 1,000-seat auditorium, nine conference rooms, a 300 seat cafeteria, and below-grade parking for 450 vehicles. There are not immediate plans to build a second phase.

Building 46

History: Building 46 was constructed to provide additional electrical service to the NIH reservation. It houses 13.2 kw switchgear and associated equipment. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Building T-46
History: T-46, also called childkind, was built as an infant/toddler day care center. Childkind is a licensed center established in 1983 by Suburban Hospital which accepts children 2 months to 3 years old.

Building 49
History: This facility was constructed to support research pertaining to child health and neurological disorders. It contains laboratory and animal research spaces, as well as support offices and meeting rooms.

Building 52

History: Building 52 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Building 53

History: Building 53 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Building 54

History: Building 54 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Building 58

History: Building 58 was built to store hazardous and flammable materials.

Building 60
History: Building 60, also known as the Convent, was constructed in 1923 to house the Sisters of the Visitation of Washington. The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education houses the Hughes Research Scholars Program of the Hughes Medical Institute.

Building 61
History:-- The "cottage," an attendant structure to Building 60, was built in 1923 and was housing for the Convent priest and a caretaker. It now serves management staff of the Hughes Medical Institute (Bldg. 60).

Building 61A

History: Garage



Previous



National Institutes of Health