|Home > About NIH > NIH Almanac > Organization|
The Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center (CC) is the clinical research hospital for the National Institutes of Health. Through clinical research, physician-investigators translate laboratory discoveries into better treatments, therapies and interventions to improve the nation’s health.
Clinical and laboratory research is conducted shoulder-to-shoulder at the CC and this tandem approach drives all aspects of its operations. The first patients were admitted in 1953. More than one-quarter million patients from across the nation have gone on to participate in clinical research studies here. In 2001 their care accounted for about 7,000 inpatient admissions and nearly 73,000 outpatient visits at the 13-story, 267-bed hospital.
Late in 1997, Vice President Al Gore and Senator Mark O. Hatfield broke ground for the new Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center. The center, expected to be complete in 2004, will house new inpatient hospital units, outpatient clinics, day hospitals, and research labs. Together, the Magnuson and Hatfield centers will provide the environment today’s researchers need to spark medical discovery into the next century.
November 1948 – Construction of the Clinical Center was started.
June 22, 1951 – The cornerstone ceremony was officiated by Oscar R. Ewing, Federal security administrator. President Harry S. Truman was the honored guest.
July 2, 1953 – The CC was dedicated by DHEW Secretary Oveta Culp Hobby.
July 6, 1953 – The first patient was admitted to the Clinical Center.
September 5, 1963 – A new surgical wing for cardiac and neurosurgery was dedicated by Dr. Luther L. Terry, Surgeon General.
July 2, 1969 – A dedication ceremony was held to name the Clinical Center’s Jack Masur Auditorium.
April 1977 – Construction of the ambulatory care research facility was started.
November 1977 – The Critical Care Medicine Department was established.
October 22, 1981 – The outpatient clinic facility was dedicated. The research hospital was renamed the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center.
September 20, 1982 – The NIA Laboratory of Neurosciences was dedicated.
March 22, 1984 – The first magnetic resonance imaging unit became operational for patient imaging.
October 1984 – NCI’s Radiation Oncology Building was dedicated.
April 13, 1985 – Two cyclotrons were delivered to the underground facility operated by the Nuclear Medicine Department.
November 20, 1987 – The Lipsett Amphitheater in the clinic was dedicated.
September 14, 1990 – A 4-year-old patient with adenosine deaminate deficiency was the first to receive gene therapy treatment.
April 8, 1991 – The Department of Transfusion Medicine opened its state of the art facility.
June 1992 – The A-wing addition was completed, adding NCI and NIAID labs focusing on AIDS research.
July 1993 – The hematology/bone marrow unit opened to improve transplant procedures and develop gene therapy techniques.
May 1994 – First multi-institute unit designed and staffed for children opened.
February 1996 – Details on clinical research studies conducted at the Clinical Center are made available on the World Wide Web (http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov/), increasing opportunities for physicians to participate in NIH clinical investigations.
November 1996 – A Board of Governors was appointed by the Secretary of HHS, marking a new governing system for the Clinical Center.
July 1997 – To meet increasing investigative needs for cell products used in immunotherapy, gene therapy, and stem cell transplantation, a cell processing facility was created.
November 4, 1997 – Vice President Al Gore and Senator Mark O. Hatfield attended groundbreaking ceremonies for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center. The new center, which will include a modern research facility with a 250-bed hospital, outpatient care capability and research laboratories, is scheduled to be completed in 2004.
October 29, 2002 – Groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Edmond J. Safra Family Lodge at NIH. Located steps away from the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center, the lodge will provide a comfortable home away from home for the families and caretakers of Clinical Center patients.
July 1, 1944 – Public Law 78-410, the Public Health Service Act, authorized establishment of the Clinical Center.
July 8, 1947 – Under P.L. 80-165, research construction provisions of the Appropriations Act for FY 1948 provided funds “For the acquisition of a site, and the preparation of plans, specifications, and drawings, for additional research buildings and a 600-bed clinical research hospital and necessary accessory buildings related thereto to be used in general medical research....”
Dr. Gallin became CC director and NIH associate director for clinical research on May 1, 1994. Prior to his appointment, he had served as director, Division of Intramural Research, NIAID, since 1985 and as chief of its Laboratory of Host Defenses since 1991.
A New York native, he graduated with honors from Amherst College in 1965. He earned an M.D. degree at Cornell University Medical College in 1969. He was an intern, resident, and senior chief medical resident at New York University-Bellevue Hospital Medical Center. He received an honorary doctor of science from Amherst College in 1988.
Dr. Gallin’s primary research centers on how phagocytes – the body’s scavenger cells – function. When the cells fail to produce the oxygen-rich chemicals that normally kill germs, a rare hereditary immune disorder – chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) – results.
His laboratory has actively pursued gene therapy for the treatment of CGD. He also has helped lead investigations demonstrating that the immune stimulant interferon-gamma reduces infections in CGD. Currently, he and his colleagues are pursuing the use of interferon-gamma in the treatment of other infectious diseases such as tuberculosis.
Dr. Gallin lectures internationally on inflammation and topics of host defense. Among his honors are the PHS Distinguished Service Award, the Young Investigator Award of the American Federation for Clinical Research, and the Squibb Award of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. In 1991 he received the PHS award for orphan product development, an honor that recognizes work in finding treatments for diseases and disorders that affect a small number of patients worldwide.
Clinical Center Directors
Clinical Research. Clinical Center departments conducting and supporting clinical research are: Anesthesia and Surgical Services; Clinical Pathology; Critical Care; Hospital Epidemiology; Imaging Sciences (comprising Diagnostic Radiology, the Laboratory of Diagnostic Radiology Research, Nuclear Medicine, and Positron Emissions Tomography Departments); Nursing; Pharmacy; Rehabilitation Medicine; and Transfusion Medicine.
Patient Care and Support. Departments that provide direct care and support for patients include Housekeeping and Fabric Care; Information Systems; Materials Management; Medical Records; Nutrition; Outpatient; Social Work; and Spiritual Ministry, along with the Patient Representative Program. The Clinical Center operates a guest house for families involved with clinical research here.
Office of the Director. Programs within this office support the management and operational needs of the CC, including administrative management and planning; patient recruitment and public liaison; communications; the children’s school; clinical bioethics; hospital safety; facilities management; financial management; human resources; and technology transfer.
Education. The Clinical Center has assumed a broad role in helping prepare the next generation of clinical researchers and strengthen educational opportunities for today’s physician-scientists. New programs include “Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research”; postdoctoral training in clinical pharmacology; a clinical bioethics fellowship; training in biomedical imaging research; and a collaboration with the School of Medicine at Duke University that leads to graduate degree.
|This page was last reviewed on June 22, 2005 .|
National Institutes of Health (NIH)