Institutes and Research Divisions
National Institute on Drug Abuse
- the neurobiological, behavioral, and social mechanisms underlying drug abuse and addiction
- specific biomedical and behavioral effects of drugs of abuse, including marijuana, heroin, and cocaine, on the body and brain
- effective prevention and treatment approaches, including a broad research program designed to develop new treatment medications and behavioral therapies for drug abuse
- the causes and consequences of drug abuse, including impact on society and morbidity and mortality in selected populations, e.g., ethnic minorities, youth, women
- investigation of the relationship of drug use to other problem behaviors, e.g., psychopathology, unemployment, violence
- biomedical, behavioral, and social factors associated with vulnerability/invulnerability to drug abuse and addiction
- the role of drug abuse as a factor contributing to the spread of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and other diseases and the development of effective prevention/intervention strategies
- research on the mechanisms of pain and the search for a nonaddictive analgesic
- research on tobacco and nicotine addiction.
The intramural research program of NIDA's Division of Intramural Research (DIR), formerly the Addiction Research Center, located in Baltimore, Maryland, conducts interdisciplinary research on the causes, hazards, treatment, and prevention of drug abuse and addiction the behavioral mechanisms underlying the addictive process, and the addictive liability of new drugs. These studies range from basic molecular studies through laboratory work with animals, to clinical studies with human volunteers. The DIR uses the latest technologies, such as positron emission tomography to study the action of drugs in the human brain and transgenic techniques in which genetically altered mice are created to examine the role genes play in vulnerability to drug abuse. The DIR also serves as a national and international training center for researchers in the drug abuse field.
Important Events in NIDA History
NIDA Legislative Chronology
Director's of NIDA
Biographical Sketch of NIDA Director