Chapt. Real Property and Facilities

Buildings

Building 1
History: Building 1, the Shanon Bldg., was constructed to serve as an administrative center for NIH. Original construction plans (later changed) provided for space for various shops, a central stores operation, and a boiler plant.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1936.
Construction begun ......................... January 1938.
Cornerstone laid ......................... June 30, 1938.
Construction completed ......................... December 1938.
Occupancy by NIH ......................... Dec. 1, 1938.
Cost of original construction ......................... $680,746
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $805,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 95,948

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................36,108
Lab ............................ 2,535
General Service .............................. 16,716
Public Area .............................. 24,875
Total ............................ 80,234

Present use: Administration.

Building 2
History:Building 2 was built as a laboratory research building. It was originally called the Industrial Hygiene Laboratory Building.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1936.
Construction begun ......................... January 1938.
Construction completed ......................... December 1938.
Cost of original construction ......................... $327,966
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $682,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 47,979

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................7,381
Lab ..............................19,619
Lab Support ..............................1,288
General Service ..............................4,390
Public Area ..............................9,207
Total ..............................41,825

Present use: Research by NIDDK.

Building T2
History: Building T2 was constructed as a general warehouse facility.

Construction completed ......................... 1951
Cost of original construction ......................... $2,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 495
Present use: Storage

Building 3
History: Building 3 was built to provide space for offices, laboratory research, and animal breeding. It was originally called the Public Health Methods and Animal Unit Building.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1936.
Construction begun ......................... January 1938.
Construction completed ......................... December 1938.
Cost of original construction ......................... $327,966
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $791,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 48,285

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................2,373
Lab ..............................21,569
Lab Support ..............................2,035
General Service ..............................5,931
Public Area ..............................9,162
Total ..............................41,070

Present use: Research by NHLBI.

Building 4
History:Building 4 was constructed for laboratory research by NIAMD.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1936.
Construction begun ......................... December 1938.
Construction completed ......................... May 1941.
Cost of original construction ......................... $554,573
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $14,151,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 103,157

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................10,409
Lab ..............................26,870
Lab Support ..............................5,420
Animal ..............................989
General Service ..............................20,708
Public Area ..............................15,850
Total ..............................80,246

Present use: Research by NIAID.

Building 5
History:Building 5 was constructed for laboratory research by NIAID.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1936.
Construction begun ......................... December 1938.
Construction completed ......................... 1941.
Cost of original construction ......................... $554,573
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $997,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 71,735

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................12,109
Lab ..............................22,68
Lab Support ..............................7,392
General Service ..............................22,946
Public Area ..............................15,273
Total ..............................80,406

Present use: Research by NIDDK.

Building 6
History:Building 6 was constructed as a research laboratory for NCI.

Construction completed ......................... September 1939.
Cost of original construction ......................... $659,761
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,831,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 74,196

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................7,758
Lab ..............................27,147
Lab Support ..............................8,726
Animal ..............................2,901
General Service ..............................8,872
Public Area ..............................17,896
Total ..............................73,359

Present use: Research by NICHD, NEI, NIDDK, and NIAMS.

Building 6A

Cost of original construction ......................... $833,448
Total cost plus improvements ......................... $2,725,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 21,720

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................316
Lab ..............................9,579
Lab Support ..............................1,601
General Service ..............................3,752
Public Area ..............................4,007
Total ..............................20,217

Present use: Research by NICHD, NIDDK, and NEI.

Building 6B
History:Building 6 was constructed for the AAALAC program. It was to house laboratory animals to be used in research.

Initiating legislation ......................... May 26, 1988
Construction completed ......................... Aug. 17, 1990
Cost of original construction ......................... $8,462,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $8,462,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 51,142

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................2,441
Lab ..............................19,799
Lab Support ..............................726
Animal ..............................7,039
General Service ..............................5,618
Public Area ..............................12,249
Total ..............................47,872

Present use: Research

Building 7
History:Formerly called Memorial Laboratory, Building 7 was constructed as a research laboratory for the NIAID. The building has many special features (such as electrically heated grids for sterilizing air) that permit study of extremely infectious diseases.

Initiating legislation ......................... Aug. 25, 1937.
Construction begun ......................... July 1945.
Occupancy by NIH ......................... May 1947
Cost of original construction ......................... $1,192,634
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,335,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 49,972

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................4,369
Lab ..............................11,500
Lab Support ..............................3,532
Animal ..............................3,133
General Service ..............................10,958
Public Area ..............................10,716
Total ..............................44,208

Present use: Research by NIAID and NINDS.

Building 8
History:Building 8 was constructed as an office building.

Cornerstone laid ......................... April 1945
Occupancy by NIH ......................... December 1946.
Cost of original construction ......................... $199,614
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $5,931,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 58,097

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................4,418
Lab ..............................13,057
Lab Support ..............................3,169
Animal ..............................2,783
General Service ..............................5,472
Public Area ..............................8,393
Total ..............................37,292

Present use: Research by NIDDK.

Building 8A

Cost of original construction ......................... $9,426,052
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $9,426,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 40,702
Space allocations (sq. ft.) Included in Bldg. 8

Building 9
History:Building 9 was constructed to house facilities for breeding smaller animals for research.

Construction begun ......................... September 1942.
Construction completed ......................... February 1943.
Occupancy by NIH ......................... January 1943.
Cost of original construction ......................... $197,451
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $810,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 40,637

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................4,307
Lab ..............................13,908
Lab Support ..............................834
Animal ..............................3,954
General Service ..............................3,705
Public Area ..............................8,825
Total ..............................35,533

Present use: Research by NHLBI, NCI, NIAMS, NHGRI, NIDCD, NICHD, NIDDK, NEI, and NIMH.

Building 10
History: Building 10, the "Clinic"--known as the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center--was constructed as a research hospital in which laboratory research and clinical investigations with associated patient care take place.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 14, 1948.
Construction begun ......................... November 1948.
Cornerstone laid ......................... June 22, 1951.
Construction completed ......................... Aug. 26, 1955.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... November 1952
Cost of original construction ......................... $30,418,308
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $154,423,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 2,805,296

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................284,528
Lab ..............................271,289
Lab Support ..............................62,789
Animal ..............................26,573
Patient Care ..............................299,350
General Service ..............................257,883
Public Area ..............................429,912
Total ..............................1,632,324

Present use: Research hospital.

Building 10A
History:Building 10A, the "Surgical Wing," was constructed to house research facilities for cardiac and neurosurgery, associated research laboratories, and the NIH Blood Bank. As of 1990, Bldg. 10A has been renovated to house small animals under the AAALAC program.

Initiating legislation ......................... 1957 appropriation act.
Construction begun ......................... August 1959.
Construction completed ......................... Jan.25,1963
Cost of original construction ......................... $2,112,563
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $2,165,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 44,704

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.):
Included with Building 10
Animal ..............................33,064
General Service ..............................3,702
Total ..............................36,766

Present use: AAALAC Animal Center.

Building 11 and 11A-C
History: Buildings 11 and 11A provide central utility production such as compressed air, steam, chilled water for air-conditioning systems and emergency electric power. They also house vehicle wash, incineration plant and GI can-washing facilities.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1948 and
June 1949 (11-11A).
Construction begun ......................... January 1951.
Construction completed 11 ......................... March 1954.
11A ......................... June 1955.
11B ......................... 1959.
11C ......................... 1961.
Occupancy by NIH 11 ......................... November 1952.
11A ......................... May 1953.
11B ......................... 1959.
11C ......................... 1961.
Cost of original construction ......................... $6,240,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $8,220,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 185,782

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................2,664
Animal ..............................1,714
General Service ..............................87,506
Public Area ..............................10,069
Total ..............................101,953

Present use: Central utility production: boiler plant (11), incinerator (11A), compressors (11B-C).

Building 12
History:Building 12 was constructed to provide maintenance, overhaul, and storage facilities for NIH vehicles, and to provide general storage space. A major portion of the building has been converted to office and machine space for data processing and computer operations although the garage and fire department still are located in the building.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1948 and
June 1949.
Construction begun ......................... May 1949.
Construction completed ......................... October 1950.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... September 1950.
Cost of original construction ......................... $897,842
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,950,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 56,010

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................33,236
General Service ..............................15,265
Public Area ..............................5,619
Total ..............................53,120

Present use: Stated above.

Building 12A
History:Building 12A was authorized to permit expansion of data processing and computer operations and eventually will be used entirely for that purpose. The building presently is used as general office space for personnel of various NIH organizations including data processing.

Initiating legislation ......................... Aug. 14, 1962.
Construction begun ......................... Apr. 15, 1964.
Construction completed ......................... Sept. 8, 1965.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Sept. 7, 1965.
Cost of original construction ......................... $1,563,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,950,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 70,623

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................41,682
Lab ..............................1,100
General Service ..............................9,263
Public Area ..............................13,716
Total ..............................65,761

Present use: Stated above.

Building 12B

Cost of original construction ......................... $2,180,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 36,936

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................6,357
General Service ..............................13,333
Public Area ..............................9,554
Total ..............................29,244

Occupants: DCRT, MBEPB, NCI, and DES.

Building 13
History: Building 13 was constructed to house facilities for general maintenance and repair work, scientific apparatus construction, stores and stock (including refrigerated food storage), and laundry and drycleaning facilities.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1948 and
June 1949.
Construction begun ......................... December 1950.
Construction completed ......................... August 1952.
Cost of original construction ......................... $3,324,232
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $5,382,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 227,620

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................60,750
Lab ..............................6,724
Lab Support ..............................1,335
Patient Care ..............................3,436
General Service ..............................116,829
Public Area ..............................30,197
Total ..............................219,428

Present use: General maintenance and repair work (shops), planning, construction and operating staffs (DES), laundry and dry-cleaning (CC), storage and supply (DAS), instrumentation and environmental services (DRS), employee health unit (CC), Biomedical Engineering and Instrumentation Branch and Environmental Safety Branch (NCRR).

Building 14A-D
History:Buildings 14A through D were constructed for housing and breeding small animals, storage of animal food and bedding, cage washing and sterilization.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 29, 1949.
Construction begun ......................... September 1951.
Construction completed ......................... November 1953.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... February 1954.
Cost of original construction ......................... $3,492,122
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $3,818,000
Gross area (sq. ft.)
(Buildings 14A-H)
......................... 254,766

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................13,540
Lab ..............................3,940
Lab Support ..............................4,481
Animal ..............................109,363
General Service ..............................36,979
Public Area ..............................70,204
Total ..............................238,471

Present use A--office space and storage for animal food and bedding, cage washing, and sterilization.
B & C--for housing and breeding of small animals.
D--primate research holding and breeding, and primate cage washing.

Building 14E
History: Building 14E was constructed to house monkeys for polio research.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 29, 1945.
Construction begun ......................... September 1955.
Construction completed ......................... January 1956.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... February 1956.
Cost of original construction ......................... $446,900
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $471,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... See Buildings 14A-D.

AreaSpace allocations:
See Buildings 14A-D.

Present use: South end--central animal surgery. North end--small animal genetic monitoring, disease investigation, and nutritional studies.

Building 14F
History: Building 14F was constructed for animal housing and breeding. From 1957 to 1963 it was used for temporary office space and was called Building T-18.

Initiating legislation ......................... July 1956.
Construction begun ......................... December 1956.
Construction completed ......................... September 1957.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... September 1957.
Cost of original construction ......................... $549,517
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $4,432,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... See Buildings 14A-D.

AreaSpace allocations:
See Buildings 14A-D.

Present use: Stated above.

Building 14G
History: Building 14G was constructed for animal housing and breeding. From 1957 to 1963 it was used for temporary office space and was called Building T-19.

Initiating legislation ......................... July 1956.
Construction begun ......................... December 1956.
Construction completed ......................... September 1957.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... September 1957.
Cost of original construction ......................... $549,517
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $710,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... See Buildings 14A-D.

AreaSpace allocations:
See Buildings 14A-D.

Present use: Houses the World Health Organization Genetic Repository for Rodents.

Building 14H
History: Building 14H was constructed for animal cage washing facilities.

Construction completed ......................... September 1982.
Cost of original construction ......................... $504,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $504,000

AreaSpace allocations:
See Buildings 14A-D.

Present use: Stated above.

Building T-14
History: Building T-14 was constructed for general warehouse space.

Construction costs ......................... $82,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 4,000

AreaSpace allocations:
General Service ..............................4,000
Total ..............................4,000

Present use: Storage.

Building 15A
History: Building 15A was formerly the private residence of Helen Woodward Wilson. She donated it to NIH on September 30, 1938, along with a 14.4-acre tract of land.

Cost of original construction ......................... $9,000 est.
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $9,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 3,006

Present use: Office.

Building 15B-G
History: Buildings 15B-G are duplex housing units built as officers' quarters.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1938.
Construction begun ......................... December 1938.
Construction completed ......................... January 1940.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... January 1940.
Cost of original construction ......................... $38,600 each
$231,600 total
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $43,000 each
$258,000 total
Gross area (sq. ft.)(Each building contains two housing units) ......................... 48,384 total

Present use: Officers' quarters.

Building 15H and I
History: Buildings 15H and I are single housing units constructed as officers' quarters.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1938.
Construction begun ......................... December 1938.
Construction completed ......................... January 1940.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... January 1940.
Cost of original construction ......................... $38,600 each
$77,200 total
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $131,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 6,006 each
12,012 total

Present use: Officers' quarters.

Building 15K
History:Building 15K, the Wilson House, was formerly the residence of Helen Woodward and Luke I. Wilson. It was donated to NIH on March 17, 1942, along with 10.87 acres of land.

Cornerstone laid ......................... 1926.
Cost of original construction ......................... $62,500 est.
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $65,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 11,670

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................4,592
Lab ..............................141
Lab Support ..............................797
Patient Care ..............................1,184
General Service ..............................2,643
Public Area ..............................1,899
Total ..............................11,236

Present use: Child Research Branch, NIMH.

Building 15L-1 and L-2
History: Buildings 15L-I were formerly the residence of Ruth F. and Luke W. Wilson and the caretakers' residence, respectively. They were acquired in the purchase of the Ruth Wilson estate (2.2409 acres) for $1,100,000 on August 5, 1993.

Gross area (sq. ft.) L-1 ......................... 1,003
Gross area (sq. ft.) L-2 ......................... 1,864

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building 16
History: Building 16, "Stone House," was formerly the residence of G. Freeland Peter and Lulie Whitlock Peter. It was acquired in the purchase of the Peter estate (47.9 acres) for $505,000 on February 14, 1949.

Cornerstone laid ......................... 1930.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Dec. 20, 1950.
Cost of original construction ......................... $133,500 est.
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $551,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 17,476

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................3,334
General Service ..............................3,495
Public Area ..............................8,970
Total ..............................15,799

Present use: Office and conference space.

Building 16A
History: Building 16A, the John E. Fogarty International Center, was the residence of the Peter estate caretaker. It was acquired in the Peter estate purchase on February 14, 1949.

Occupancy by NIH ......................... Dec. 20, 1950
Cost of original construction ......................... $16,000 est.
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $77,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 4,863

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................1,965
General Service ..............................1,185
Public Area ..............................926
Total ..............................4,076

Present use: Office space, conference space, and International Visitors Center.

Building 17 and 17A
History: Buildings 17 and 17A were constructed to house the 13.2 kv switchgear and associated equipment necessary for power services to the NIH reservation. The buildings were designed and constructed, and are owned by Potomac Electric.

Construction completed ......................... September 1951.
Cost ......................... $397,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 7,651

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
General Service ..............................7,168
Public Area ..............................54
Total ............................7,222

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building 18
History: Physiology Section, NICHD

Cost of original construction ......................... $328,448
Total cost plus improvements ......................... $545,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 4,800

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................151
Lab ..............................2,923
Lab Support ..............................422
General Service ..............................294
Public Area ..............................483
Total ..............................4,273

Building 20
History: Building 20 was constructed as an apartment building for occupancy by certain NIH personnel.

Initiating legislation ......................... September 1950.
Construction begun ......................... September 1952.
Construction completed ......................... November 1953.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... January 1954.
Cost of original construction ......................... $971,973
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,010,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 66,880

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................98
General Service ..............................48,190
Public Area ..............................11,249
Total ..............................59,537

Present use: Apartment building.

Building 21
History: Building 21, formerly called Building T-3, was constructed to provide a segregated area for radioisotope use.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 22, 1948.
Construction begun ......................... November 1948.
Construction completed ......................... December 1949.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... June 1950.
Cost of original construction ......................... $397,648
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,010,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 22,483

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................3,273
Lab ..............................7,553
Lab Support ..............................907
General Service ..............................3,964
Public Area ..............................3,940
Total ..............................19,637

Present use: Segregated working area for use of radioisotopes, especially for the preparation of "tagged" compounds and their dilution to levels at which they can be safely handled in other laboratory areas.

Building 22
History: Building 22 was built to house grounds maintenance staff and equipment.

Initiating legislation ......................... September 1950
and August 1951.
Construction begun ......................... December 1951.
Construction completed ......................... September 1952.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... October 1952.
Cost of original construction ......................... $178,524
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $210,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 16,842

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................1,840
General Service ..............................13,819
Public Area ..............................211
Total ..............................15,870

Present use: Space for grounds maintenance staff and equipment.

Building T-23
History: Building 10, the "Clinic"--known as the Building T-23 was constructed as a storage facility for sand.

Construction completed ......................... 1986.
Cost of original construction ......................... $164,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $164,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 5,376
Space Allocations: See Bldg. 22 above.

Present use: Storage.

Building 25
History: Building 25 was constructed as a chemical storage area.

Initiating legislation ......................... June 1949.
Construction completed ......................... November 1953.
Cost of original construction ......................... $95,842
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $212,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 8,012

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................78
General Service ..............................5,560
Total ..............................5,638

Present use: Chemical storage.

Building 26
History: "Building 26," was a fenced-in area. A building was erected in 1954 as a temporary chemical disposal plant. In August 1958 a permanent facility was constructed. Further improvements were made in August 1960.

Construction begun ......................... 1954.
Construction completed ......................... 1954.
Cost of original construction ......................... $5,725
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $33,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 151

Present use: Demolished: replaced by T-26.

Building 28, 28A-D
History: Building 28 was constructed to house the dog kennels and animal hospital.

Initiating legislation ............... June 1949.
Construction begun ............... September 1951
(Wing B and Building 28).
Construction begun ............... January 1957
(Wings A, C, and D).
Construction completed ............... November 1953
(Wing B and Building 28).
Construction completed ............... January 1958
(Wings A, C, and D).
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ............... February 1954
(Wing B and Building 28).
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ............... February 1958
(Wings A, C, and D).
Cost of original construction ............... $687,869
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ............... $713,102
Gross area (sq. ft.) ............... 37,596

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................1,791
Lab ..............................3,867
Lab Support ..............................437
Animal ..............................16,620
General Service ..............................1,241
Public Area ..............................7,194
Total ..............................31,150

Present use: 28--offices and labs for comparative medicine unit; 28A--offices and labs for comparative pathology section; 28B-D--long-term holding for large animals.

Building 29
History: Building 29 was built to provide laboratory and office space for the Division of Biologics Standards (now Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, FDA).

Initiating legislation ......................... 1956.
Construction begun ......................... May 26, 1958.
Construction completed ......................... July 21, 1960.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Aug. 29, 1960.
Cost of original construction ......................... $3,258,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $3,272,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 87,898

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................11,986
Lab ..............................19,463
Lab Support ..............................5,944
Animal ..............................1,000
General Service ..............................18,014
Public Area ..............................16,265
Total ..............................72,722

Present use: Stated above.

Building 29A
History: Building 29A was authorized to provide an increase in laboratory and office space for the Division of Biologics Standards (now CBER, FDA).

Initiating legislation ......................... October 11, 1963.
Construction begun ......................... March 16, 1965.
Construction completed ......................... September 1968.
Cost of original construction ......................... $4,771,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $5,055,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 109,772

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................6,490
Lab ..............................15,331
Lab Support ..............................9,935
Animal ..............................8,657
General Service ..............................20,852
Public Area ..............................28,532
Total ..............................89,797

Present use: Stated above.

Building 30
History: Building 30 was built to provide laboratory and office space for NIDR.

Initiating legislation ......................... July 31, 1956.
Construction begun ......................... Mar. 24, 1959.
Cornerstone laid ......................... Sept. 21, 1960.
Construction completed ......................... July 27, 1961.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... May 18, 1961.
Cost of original construction ......................... $3,447,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $3,476,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 92,601

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................9,511
Lab ..............................20,954
Lab Support ..............................6,891
Animal ..............................4,703
General Service ..............................14,708
Public Area ..............................19,768
Total ..............................76,535

Present use: Stated above.

Building 31
History: Building 31, the Claude D. Pepper Bldg., was constructed to provide office space for most institute directors and their immediate staffs, supporting central services for this area, and additional conference space for study sections, councils, other consultant groups, and NIH staff. Bldg. T-6 was razed in 1961 to make room for a parking lot for Bldg. 31, and Building 15L was razed in 1962 to make room for Bldg. 31.

Initiating legislation ......................... July 31, 1956.
Construction begun ......................... October 1959.
Cornerstone laid ......................... Oct. 31, 1961.
Construction completed ......................... April 1962.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Oct. 20, 1961.
Cost of original construction ......................... $8,216,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $14,606,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 587,760

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................355,877
Patient Care ..............................2,293
General Service ..............................52,798
Public Area ..............................127,649
Total ..............................538,437

Present use: Stated above.

Building 32
History: Building 32 was constructed for use in NIMH investigations of biology and the biochemistry of medicinal plants.

Construction begun ......................... July 28, 1958.
Construction completed ......................... Oct. 26, 1959.
Cost of original construction ......................... $121,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $170,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 4,910

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Lab ..............................3,249
Lab Support ..............................532
General Service ..............................404
Public Area ..............................160
Total ..............................4,345

Present use: Stated above.

Building 34
History: Building 34 was constructed to house additional chillers for the central air conditioning system.

Initiating legislation ......................... August 1962.
Construction begun ......................... January 1967.
Construction completed ......................... October 1968.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... November 1968.
Cost of original construction ......................... $4,629,827
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $6,829,827
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 46,680

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
General Service ..............................30,528
Public Area ..............................1,414
Total ..............................31,942

Present use: Stated above.

Building 35
History:Building 35 was constructed to provide a cafeteria to support personnel occupying facilities in the southwestern portion of the NIH reservation.

Initiating legislation ......................... October 1963.
Construction begun ......................... September 1965.
Construction completed ......................... November 1968.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... February 1969.
Cost of original construction ......................... $878,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $893,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 46,735

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................4,719
Lab ..............................1,098
Lab Support ..............................4,030
General Service ..............................22,133
Public Area ..............................13,484
Total ..............................45,464

Present use: Stated above.

Building 36
History: Building 36, named for Lowell P. Weicker, was constructed to provide NIMH and NINDS with laboratory and office space.

Initiating legislation ......................... October 1963.
Construction begun ......................... September 1965.
Construction completed ......................... November 1968.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... February 1969.
Cost of original construction ......................... $11,592,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $13,465,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 237,934

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................22,883
Lab ..............................66,376
Lab Support ..............................17,559
Animal ..............................5,439
General Service ..............................50,506
Public Area ..............................41,450
Total ..............................204,213

Present use: Research.

Building 37
History: Building 37 was constructed to provide the National Cancer Institute with laboratory and office space.

Initiating legislation ......................... October 1963.
Construction begun ......................... September 1965.
Construction completed ......................... November 1968.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... February 1969.
Cost of original construction ......................... $9,905,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $9,936,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 262,588

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................24,378
Lab ..............................75,673
Lab Support ..............................18,662
Animal ..............................4,076
General Service ..............................55,279
Public Area ..............................57,513
Total ..............................235,581

Present use: Stated above.

Building 38
History: Building 38 was constructed to house the National Library of Medicine, consisting of the largest collection of medical literature, and facilities for biomedical communications.

Initiating legislation ......................... Aug. 3, 1956.
Construction begun ......................... June 15, 1959.
Cornerstone laid ......................... Dec. 14, 1961.
Construction completed ......................... Apr. 30, 1962.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Mar. 2, 1962.
Cost of original construction ......................... $6,412,0008
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $6,416,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 234,555

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................176,120
General Service ..............................15,265
Public Area ..............................26,844
Total ..............................218,229

Present use: Stated abovel.

Building 38A
History: Building 38A was constructed to house the offices of the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications. The National Medical Audiovisuals Center transferred its headquarters here from Atlanta, Ga., and the Fogarty International Center occupies one floor.

Construction completed ......................... June 1981.
Cost of original construction ......................... $14,457,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $14,630,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 212,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................112,875
General Service ..............................27,111
Public Area ..............................47,811
Total ..............................187,794

Present use: Research hospital.

Building T-39
History: Two trailers were purchased as part of the Building 10 renovations. When renovations were completed, they were relocated to their present site to be used as a Fitness Center for NIH employees and families of the Clinical Center patients.

Total cost of building ......................... $9,500
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 4,946

Building 41
History: Building 41 was constructed to provide the National Cancer Institute with a facility designed for control and containment of biohazards associated with virus studies related to cancer research.

Initiating legislation ......................... September 1965.
Construction begun ......................... July 1966.
Construction completed ......................... April 1969.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... May 1969.
Cost of original construction ......................... $3,507,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $3,636,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 124,208

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................10,699
Lab ..............................12,408
Lab Support ..............................4,290
Animal ..............................2,215
Patient Care ..............................490
General Service ..............................37,425
Public Area ..............................14,046
Total ..............................81,543

Present use: Stated above.

Building T-41
History: Building T-41 was constructed to provide containment labs for the Division of Safety.

Cost of original construction plus changes and improvements ......................... $241,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 3,526

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Lab ..............................741
Lab Support ..............................90
Animal ..............................229
General Service ..............................1,702
Public Area ..............................690
Total ..............................3,412

Present use: Containment labs.

Building 45
History: The William H. Natcher Building is the gateway to the NIH campus. This first of two intended phases includes office space for 600 extramural staff, a 1,000-seat auditorium, nine conference rooms, a 300 seat cafeteria, and below-grade parking for 450 vehicles. There are not immediate plans to build a second phase.

Initiating legislation ......................... Fiscal year 1989.
Construction begun ......................... October 1, 1992.
Construction completed ......................... Dec. 22, 1994.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Dec. 23, 1994.
Cost of original construction ......................... $49,900,000
Cost plus improvements ......................... $49,900,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 460,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................173,000
Lab ..............................
General Service ..............................
Public Area ..............................72,000
Parking ..............................215,000
Total ..............................460,000

Building 46
History:Building 46 was constructed to provide additional electrical service to the NIH reservation. It houses 13.2 kw switchgear and associated equipment. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Total cost of building ......................... $80,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 13,412

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
General Service ..............................9,942
Public Area ..............................792
Total ..............................10,734

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building T-46
History: T-46, also called childkind, was constructed as an infant/toddler day care center for 2 year olds. Childkind is a licensed day-care center established in 1983 by Suburban Hospital which accepts children 2 months to 3 years old.

Cost of original construction ......................... $333,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $333,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 3,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................686
Patient Care ..............................1,410
General Service ..............................93
Public Area ..............................213
Total ..............................2,402

Present use: Research hospital.

Building 49
History:This facility was constructed to support research pertaining to child health and neurological disorders. It contains laboratory and animal research spaces, as well as support offices and meeting rooms.

Initiating legislation ......................... December 1984.
Construction begun ......................... May 1, 1989.
Construction completed ......................... Sept. 15, 1982.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Dec. 1, 1992.
Cost of original construction ......................... $59,517,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $59,517,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 264,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................12,120
Lab ..............................81,200
Lab Support ..............................8,400
Animal ..............................52,128
General Service ..............................46,574
Public Area ..............................63,578
Total ..............................264,000

Building 52
History: Building 52 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Construction completed ......................... 1965.
Cost of original construction ......................... $80,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 672

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building 53
History: Building 53 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Construction completed ......................... 1963.
Cost of original construction ......................... $300,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 1,800

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building 54
History: Building 54 was constructed to house equipment for power service for NIH. The building was designed and constructed and is owned by Potomac Electric.

Construction completed ......................... 1958.
Cost of original construction ......................... $80,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 168

Present use: Electrical power vault.

Building 58
History: Building 58 was built to store hazardous and flammable materials (oil tanks).

Construction completed ......................... Oct. 20, 1977.
Cost of original construction ......................... $7,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 57

Present use: Storage.

Building 60
History:Building 60, also known as the Convent, was constructed in 1923 to house the Sisters of the Visitation of Washington. The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education houses the Hughes Research Scholars Program of the Hughes Medical Institute.

Cost of original construction ......................... $4,503,000
Cost plus improvements ......................... $13,712,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 88,720

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................8,414
Lab ..............................1,341
General Service ..............................34,826
Public Area ..............................22,726
Total ..............................67,839

Building 61
History: The "cottage," an attendant structure to Building 60, was built in 1923 and was housing for the Convent priest and a caretaker. It now serves management staff of the Hughes Medical Institute (Bldg. 60).

Cost of original construction
(includes 61A)
......................... $62,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 2,244

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
General Service ..............................2,244
Total ..............................2,244

Present use: Office.

Building 61A
History: Garage

Construction completed ......................... 1980.
Floors ......................... 1.5 stories.
Cost of original construction ......................... $60,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 900

Building 62
History: Building 62, the Children's Inn at NIH, was constructed via private donations to be a "home away from home" for chronically ill children and their families, while the children are being treated at NIH.

Construction completed ......................... June 1990.
Cost of original construction ......................... $5,000,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 32,000

Present use: Housing.

Building 82
History: R.A. Bloch International Cancer Center was donated to NIH, December 16, 1982. The center serves as a computer library for physicians throughout the country.

Cost of original construction
(includes 61A)
......................... $1,400,000 .
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 15,620

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................8,504
General Service ..............................1,255
Public Area ..............................4,724
Total ..............................14,483

Present use: Office.

Building 104
History: This facility replaced aging and inadequate temporary buildings for small ungulates. Designed to meet AAALAC standards, it has an automated waste disposal system addressing environmental concerns posed by the disposition of fecal waste.

Initiating legislation .........................
Construction begun ......................... Nov. 3, 1993.
Construction completed ......................... March 12, 1996.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... March 13, 1996.
Cost of original construction ......................... $2,269,400
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $2,662,495
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 11,235

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................12,120
Lab ..............................98
Lab Support ..............................183
Animal ..............................8,812
General Service ..............................256
Public Area ..............................775
Total ..............................10,124

Building 132
History: In 1987 Congress decided to make the NIH Animal Research Facility a state-of-the-art model for the industry. Building 132 is an indoor-outdoor facility to house large research primates.

Construction begun ......................... April 21, 1994.
Construction completed ......................... Oct. 12, 1995.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Oct. 20, 1995.
Cost of original construction ......................... $857,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,185,623
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 5,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Office ..............................156
Animal ..............................3,405
General Service ..............................520
Public Area ..............................440
Total ..............................4,521

Multi-Level Parking-6
History: Building MLP-6 was constructed to provide parking spaces for occupants of Buildings 35, 36 and 37.

Construction begun ......................... July 1969.
Construction completed ......................... July 1971.
Cost of original construction ......................... $1,751,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,886,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 267,624

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Parking space ..............................800

Multi-Level Parking-7
History: MLP-7 was built to provide additional parking for employees in Buildings 38 and 38A.

Construction completed ......................... May 1980.
Cost of original construction ......................... $1,430,000
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $1,650,000
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 156,000

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Parking space ..............................371

Multi-Level Parking-8
History: This facility was constructed to service the parking of the occupants of Buildings 49 and 29B.

Initiating legislation ......................... December 1984.
Construction begun ......................... July 1, 1992.
Construction completed ......................... Dec.15, 1993.
Occupancy by NIH (staff) ......................... Dec.15, 1993.
Cost of original construction ......................... $9,840,180
Total cost of building (cost of original construction plus changes and improvements) ......................... $10,351,760
Gross area (sq. ft.) ......................... 464,600

AreaSpace allocations (sq.ft.)
Parking space ..............................1,573

Line