Director’s Council of Public Representatives (COPR)
NIH Public Bulletin – February 2011
NIMH Announces New Outreach Partners
Institute: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
NIMH has selected 21 new partners for its Outreach Partnership Program, a national outreach and education initiative. The program recruits nonprofit organizations representing each state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico through a competitive process.
Outreach Partners disseminate NIMH research findings and educational materials and educate communities about mental disorders and mental health disparities. They also work to reduce stigma and discrimination associated with mental disorders. In addition, the Outreach Partners communicate with NIMH about the public health needs of communities in their states. This input provides NIMH with valuable insights as it advances its research agenda to meet the needs of an increasingly diverse population.
Benefits for the Outreach Partners include a $7,500 award, free access to NIMH bulk publications, networking opportunities with other state and national organizations, and sponsored participation in an annual meeting.
The new Outreach Partners are:
- Alabama: NAMI Alabama
- Alaska: SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
- Arizona: Arizona State University College of Nursing & Health Innovation
- Arkansas: NAMI Arkansas
- District of Columbia: Howard University
- Delaware: Mental Health Association in Delaware
- Hawaii: United Self-Help
- Illinois: Mental Health America of Illinois
- Indiana: Mental Health America of Indiana
- Iowa: Iowa Consortium for Mental Health
- Michigan: The Association for Children's Mental Health in partnership with Michigan State University School of Social Work
- Mississippi: Mississippi Coast Interfaith Disaster Task Force
- Missouri: Mental Health America of Eastern Missouri in partnership with Mental Health America of the Heartland and NAMI Southwest Missouri
- Montana: Mental Health America of Montana
- North Carolina: NAMI North Carolina
- Oklahoma: Mental Health Association in Tulsa
- Oregon: NAMI Oregon
- Rhode Island: Meeting Street
- South Dakota: Avera Health and University Health Center in partnership with NAMI South Dakota
- Washington: NAMI Washington
- Wyoming: NAMI Wyoming
You can find a complete list of Outreach Partners at www.nimh.nih.gov/outreach/partnership-program/outreach-partners.shtml.
For more information on the NIMH Outreach Partnership Program, visit www.nimh.nih.gov/outreach/partnership-program.