Director’s Council of Public Representatives (COPR)
NIH Public Bulletin – June 2012
Get a Good Night’s Sleep
Format: Web Site
Institutes: National Institute on Aging (NIA), National Library of Medicine (NLM)
On the redesigned NIHSeniorHealth Web site, you can find tips for older people on how to get a good night's sleep—which can make a big difference in how you feel each day. The tips include:
- Follow a regular schedule by going to bed and waking up at the same time.
- Try not to nap too much during the day.
- Exercise at regular times each day. This will improve the quality of your nighttime sleep and help you sleep more soundly.
- Be careful about what you eat and drink. Avoid caffeine late in the day—it may keep you awake at night.
- Create a safe and comfortable place to sleep.
You can find these and more tips for getting a good night's sleep at http://nihseniorhealth.gov/sleepandaging/sleepingwell/01.html or order a free copy of the tips by calling (800) 222-2225 or (800) 222-4225 (TTY). NIHSeniorHealth is developed by NIA and NLM.