FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wenesday, July 7, 1999
NEI Information Office
Telephone: (301) 496-5248
B-roll and photos available
Recruitment Begins for Study on Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Age 50 or older.
- Large drusen, or yellow deposits, in the retinas of both eyes. These deposits can be viewed only by an eye care professional through a dilated eye exam.
- Vision of 20/40 or better in each eye.
- No other eye disease affecting vision.
- Available for five years of follow-up.
- No previous laser treatment to the retina.
Those who are interested in participating in the trial and want more information should check with their eye care professional to see if they meet all the study criteria listed above. A booklet listing study centers can be obtained from the CAPT Coordinating Center at 3535 Market Street, Suite 700, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-3309. Information also is available on the CAPT web site at http://www.med.upenn.edu/ophth/research/CAPT.html, or on the NEI's web site at http://www.nei.nih.gov/neitrials_script/studydtl.asp?id=70. A list of study centers is attached.
Attachment: CAPT Clinical Centers