FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 18, 2000
NCI Press Office
National Cancer Institute Launches Clinical Trials Gateway Web Feature
- Broadening Access. Opening clinical trials to more physicians and patients will mean quicker answers to vital cancer research questions.
- Generating New Ideas. Canvassing a broad range of basic and applied scientists from both academia and industry will cast a wide net for the most promising new therapies.
- Educating and Communicating. Reaching out to physicians and patients will bring more people into the clinical trials system and reinforce the message that clinical trials are critical.
- Streamlining Procedures. Reducing paperwork and consolidating procedures will ease clinical trials participation for physicians while maintaining safety and quality.
- Automating Data Systems. Virtually every component of the new system will be online.
CancerTrials (http://cancertrials.nci.nih.gov), run by the NCI, provides educational information and news about ongoing and completed cancer clinical trials. The goal of the site: help people make informed decisions about joining clinical trials.