FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, November 26, 2001
Autism Fact Sheets Now Available from NICHD
- Autism Facts presents a general overview of what autism is, behaviors that might indicate that a child has autism, and available treatments.
- Autism Questions and Answers for Health Care Professionals provides answers to questions commonly asked by health care professionals about autism, including prevalence, causes, symptoms, diagnostic tools, and treatment options.
- Autism and Genes provides a summary of current scientific research into the genetic bases of autism.
- Autism and the MMR Vaccine describes the scientific evidence surrounding the purported link between autism and vaccines as well as current research efforts directed at shedding light on this question.
- Rett Syndrome provides an introduction to a disorder caused by a single genetic mutation; this syndrome causes autism-like symptoms in girls.
- The NICHD/NIDCD Network on the Neurobiology and Genetics of Autism: the Collaborative Programs of Excellence in Autism (CPEAs) describes the largest single, autism-specific research effort to date and provides contact information for each of the 10 research sites involved.
These fact sheets are available from the NICHD autism page at http://www.nichd.nih.gov/autism/ or may be ordered free of charge from the NICHD Clearinghouse:
Address: PO Box 3006, Rockville, MD 20847
Comments on the publications may be addressed to the NICHD Clearinghouse, listed above. E-mail correspondence to the Clearinghouse should list the word "Autism" in the subject line.