You are here
Multi-Disciplinary Working Group
The Multi-Disciplinary Working Group will serve as a fact-finding body of external experts to provide input to guide HEAL research. The working group will assist the NIH Institute and Center (IC) Advisory Councils to help ensure that HEAL research meets the bold, trans-NIH goals for the Initiative. The working group meetings will be a forum to engage partners in the private sector and research community, provide a transparent venue for stakeholders and members of the public, and help facilitate exchange of scientific information among HEAL projects.
The working group will provide input on HEAL research in the following areas:
- Share expertise in the pain and opioid misuse and addiction fields
- Provide perspective and input on the overall HEAL Initiative
- Prioritize upcoming areas of research in HEAL by developing gap analyses to suggest where more research is needed
- Harmonize existing HEAL projects by suggesting mechanisms to connect and coordinate across all projects, including how to integrate new projects
- Consider possible options for specific pain conditions to be addressed through the HEAL clinical trials networks
- Suggest ways to integrate topics that involve multiple different NIH ICs or projects, but are not directly collaborating
- Assess proposed funding plans for HEAL projects (possibly in closed session)
- Form subgroups focused on specific HEAL research areas
- For example: HEAL Partnership Committee will convey expert input on analgesic development and other relevant functions
- Integrate reports from subgroups to include in overall findings to the working group
These findings will be presented to individual IC Advisory Councils for deliberation and NIH leadership for final decision-making.
This page last reviewed on February 19, 2019