You are here
Research, Funding and Coordination
Leads a nationwide research effort to gather data from one million or more volunteers over time, with the ultimate goal of improving health through more precise preventive care and medical treatment.
Leads the development of the overall NIH vision in data science and coordinates across the 27 Institutes and Centers in support of biomedical research as a digital enterprise.
The Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives identifies and reports on research that represents important areas of emerging scientific opportunities, rising public health challenges, or knowledge gaps that deserve special emphasis. Such research benefits from conducting or supporting additional research that involves collaboration between 2 or more NIH Institutes or Centers, or would otherwise benefit from strategic coordination and planning. The Division also coordinates research and activities related to research on AIDS, behavioral and social sciences, women's health, disease prevention, rare diseases, and dietary supplements and includes a new office on strategic coordination.
- Office of AIDS Research (OAR)
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR)
- Office of Disease Prevention (ODP)
- Office of Strategic Coordination (OSC)
- Office of Portfolio Analysis (OPA)
- Office of Program Evaluation and Performance (OPEP)
- Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP)
- Office of Research on Women's Health (ORWH)
- Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (SGMRO)
- Tribal Health Research Office (THRO)
- Office of Administrative Management and Communications (OAMC)
Leads a nationwide initiative to answer crucial questions about the effects of a broad range of early environmental exposures on child health and development combining longitudinal data from new and existing clinical research studies. Includes more than 50,000 children from racially, ethnically, geographically and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds.
On behalf of the Director, the Office of Extramural Research provides guidance to institutes in research and training programs conducted through extramural (grant, contract, cooperative agreement) programs.
- Immediate Office of the Director (IMOD)
- Office of Administrative Operations (OAO)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- Office of Extramural Programs (OEP)
- Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration (OPERA)
- Office of Planning, Analysis and Communication (OCAP)
- Office of Research Information Systems (ORIS)
On behalf of the Director, the Office of Intramural Research coordinates research conducted directly by NIH personnel through intramural programs.
- Office of Animal Care and Use (OACU)
- Office of NIH History (ONHM)
- Office of Human Subjects Research (OHSR)
- Office of Technology Transfer (OTT)
- Office of Intramural Training and Education (OITE)
- NIH Division of Loan Repayment
The Scientific Workforce Diversity office leads NIH’s effort to diversify the biomedical research workforce by developing a vision and comprehensive strategy to expand recruitment and retention, and promote inclusiveness and equity throughout the biomedical research enterprise. Dr. Valantine works closely with the NIH institutes and centers, the NIH grantee community, and community stakeholders to ensure engagement on the issue at all levels.
This page last reviewed on February 1, 2018