You are here
Inclement Weather Information
On this page
- Snow and Dismissal Procedures — OPM
- NIH Dismissal and Closure Resources and Guides — OD/OHR
- NIH Dismissal and Closure Definitions and FAQs — OD/OHR
- NIH Radio – AM 1660 — OD/ORS
- Severe Weather Information – Maryland Department of Transportation
Area-wide road conditions, snow emergency plans, live traffic cameras, Maryland highway and traffic information, local weather station data.
Metro updates, traffic camera links, BRAC information, and more.
- Child Care, Opening and Closure Procedures for NIH Child Care Centers — OD/ORS
NIH Child Care Centers' hours of operation will be modified to ensure that the centers are operating as normally as possible during disruptions of the Federal Government's operations.
- Wear multiple layers of clothing under a warm jacket, gloves, a scarf, and a hat that covers your ears. Avoid footwear with hard leather soles. Soft rubber-soled shoes or boots are better on slick and slushy surfaces.
- When walking across campus, stay on plowed and treated sidewalks. Avoid walking on roadsides and through parking lots, especially between parked cars where ice patches may remain.
- Before crossing a street, make eye contact with any approaching drivers to ensure that they see you.
- Taking the campus shuttle bus is always a good idea in bad weather.
- When driving, keep well behind trucks spreading salt or sand. Spreader trucks often back up; if you are too close, the driver may not see you.
- Give yourself extra time to get where you want to go, whether driving to work or walking across campus.
- Remember — thinking ahead and being prepared will give you the best chance of having a safe and enjoyable winter season.
- Make sure your battery is relatively new and fully charged.
- Check your tires for a good amount of remaining tread life.
- Inspect your windshield wiper blades — they should be replaced yearly.
- Make sure your wiper fluid level is topped off with fluid that will not freeze.
- Always have available a sturdy ice scraper, preferably with a broom attachment, to clear ice and snow from all windows, hood, and roof.
- Carry in your trunk a blanket, extra gloves, jumper cables, and a bag of kitty litter for traction under spinning tires.
- Live cameras
Maryland Department of Transportation live traffic cameras.
This page last reviewed on November 9, 2018