You are here
Cassius James Van Slyke, M.D.
Deputy Director, December 3, 1958 - December 1, 1959
Dr. Van Slyke, first deputy director of NIH, served in that position from December 3, 1958, until his retirement on December 1, 1959. He received his M.D. in 1928 from the University of Minnesota and entered the PHS reserve corps that same year.
In 1932 he was commissioned in the regular corps and from 1936 to 1944 pursued a distinguished research career at the PHS Venereal Disease Research Laboratory in Staten Island, N.Y. In 1944, he was made assistant chief, Venereal Disease Division, Washington, D.C.
Dr. Van Slyke joined NIH in 1946 as chief of the newly established Research Grants Office, later renamed the Division of Research Grants, serving there until he was named director of the National Heart Institute (NHI) on August 1, 1948. He left NHI on November 30, 1952, to serve as associate director of NIH, a post he held until he was named NIH deputy director.
This page last reviewed on August 7, 2015