You are here
G. Burroughs Mider, M.D.
Director of Laboratories and Clinics, July 1, 1960 - May 19, 1968
Dr. Mider, whose career at NIH reaches back to 1939, is well-known on the campus. Just prior to transferring to the National Library of Medicine, an NIH component, in 1968, Dr. Mider had served for 8 years as NIH director of laboratories and clinics (1960-68), in which he functioned as deputy director as well.
He first came to NIH as a research fellow, NCI, in 1939. On completing the fellowship, he became an instructor in pathology and assistant professor of pathology (1941-44) at Cornell Medical College. Concurrently, he was an assistant pathologist at New York Hospital.
Then came assignments as associate professor of pathology, University of Virginia School of Medicine (1944-45) and research associate in surgery and professor of cancer research, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (1945-52).
On returning to NIH in 1952, he became NCI associate director in charge of research. In 1960 he was appointed NIH director of laboratories and clinics. In May 1968, Dr. Mider transferred to the NLM as special assistant to the director for medical program development and evaluation. The following year he was named acting deputy director, and in 1970 became NLM deputy director.
In 1960, he was the recipient of a DHEW Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Mider retired from the Library on June 30, 1972, to become executive officer for the Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology, Inc., and the American Society of Experimental Pathology.
This page last reviewed on August 7, 2015