You are here
John F. Sherman, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, November 1, 1968 - March 16, 1974
Dr. Sherman was appointed deputy director of NIH on November 1, 1968, after a long career in research and research grants administration. He was designated by HEW Secretary Richardson as acting director of NIH on January 21, 1973, and served until a new director was appointed on May 29, 1973. He then returned to the position of deputy director.
He came to NIH in January 1953 as a research pharmacologist in the Laboratory of Tropical Diseases, National Microbiological Institute, which became the NIAID in 1955.
In July 1956, Dr. Sherman joined the staff of the NIAMD as assistant to the chief of extramural programs. He became assistant chief of the institute's extramural programs in August 1957, and deputy chief in October 1958.
On July 1, 1961, he was appointed associate director for extramural programs, NINDB. He rejoined the NIAMD in 1962 as associate director for extramural programs, serving in that capacity until January 1, 1964, when he was named NIH associate director for extramural programs.
Dr. Sherman received his B.S. in 1949 from Union University College of Pharmacy in Albany, N.Y., and his Ph.D. in pharmacology in 1953 from Yale University.
He is the author of numerous scientific papers and articles in his field of research. In 1971, he received a DHEW Distinguished Service Award.
Dr. Sherman left NIH in 1974 to become vice president of the Association of American Medical Colleges and director of the association's department of planning and policy development.
This page last reviewed on August 7, 2015