You are here
Ronald W. Lamont-Havers, M.D.
Deputy Director, August 4, 1974 - September 25, 1976
Dr. Lamont-Havers, internationally known rheumatologist, was appointed deputy director of NIH on August 4, 1974, after serving in an acting capacity since May 20.
Prior to this appointment, he had been deputy director of the National Institute of Arthritis, Metabolism, and Digestive Diseases (1972-74), and NIH associate director for extramural research and training for 4 years (1968-72).
He received his B.A. in 1942 from the University of British Columbia, Canada, and M.D. in 1946 from the University of Toronto. He took staff and residency training (1946-48) at the Vancouver General Hospital, and residency in internal medicine (1949-51) at the Queen Mary Veterans Hospital in Montreal. From 1951 to 1953, he was a fellow of the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. He also received a diploma in internal medicine in 1953 from McGill University.
He came to NIH in 1964 as associate director for extramural programs, NIAMD. From 1955 to 1964 he was national medical director of the Arthritis Foundation and an instructor in medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. Previously, he served as medical director of the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society, British Columbia division, Vancouver, from 1953 to 1955, and as associate medical director, Student Health Service, University of British Columbia (1948-49).
Dr. Lamont-Havers, author or coauthor of numerous papers on arthritis and rheumatism, was honored in June 1973 with a DHEW Superior Service Award.
He left NIH in September 1976 to become deputy for research policy and administration to the general director, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
This page last reviewed on August 7, 2015