You are here
Stuart M. Sessoms, M.D.
Deputy Director, August 1, 1962 - July 31, 1968
Dr. Sessoms came to NIH in 1953 as a member of the NCI staff. From 1955 to 1957 he was assistant director of the Clinical Center. He was appointed assistant director, NCI, on January 1, 1958, prior to his appointment in November 1958 as chief of NCI's Cancer Chemotherapy National Service Center.
During this period, Dr. Sessoms also served as NCI associate director (1960), and associate director for collaborative research (1961) with responsibility for the institute's Virology Research Resources Branch, in addition to his duties at the Cancer Chemotherapy National Service Center.
He became the third NIH deputy director on August 1, 1962, serving in that capacity until his retirement July 31, 1968. On retirement, he held the rank of assistant surgeon general (rear admiral) in the PHS.
During his career at NIH, Dr. Sessoms was the recipient of two Meritorious Service Awards for his accomplishments as head of the Cancer Chemotherapy National Service Center, and for "outstanding ability and achievements in the development, operation and staffing" of the Regional Medical Programs.
He received his B.S. in pharmacy at the University of North Carolina in 1943 and his M.D. from the Medical College of Virginia in 1946.
On retiring after 25 years of government service, Dr. Sessoms joined Duke University.
On Jan. 1, 1976, he was named president of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
This page last reviewed on August 7, 2015